Healthy Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe
By Sharon Irish
This Healthy Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe is a delicious family meal and can be made with minimum effort in the slow cooker.
I love the slow cooker, it is so easy to use and you can put everything in and leave it for the day. Then when you come home you have a finished meal that you can dish up straight away.
How to make this Healthy Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe:
This healthy slow cooker beef and vegetable stew recipe is low fat and is a staple for my family. There are other methods for cooking this recipe at the end of the post if you don’t have a slow cooker.
We eat it at least once a fortnight, especially in the colder months, which is most months in the UK!
Ingredients for Healthy Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe (makes 5 portions):
- 3 beef stock pots (or stock cubes)
- Salt / pepper / mixed herbs
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 heaped tsp coconut oil
- 400g diced beef
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml Red wine
- 270g chopped carrots
- 160g chopped parsnip
- 250g chopped swede
- 520g new potatoes
- Turn your slow cooker on high, add 500ml boiling water and add in your stock pots or cubes.
- Stir to dissolve and then add salt, pepper, 2 tbsp mixed herbs and 1tsp garlic puree.
- Stir again and replace lid.
- Melt 1 heaped tsp coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat, then add in your diced beef.
- Fry until lightly browned and then add 2 tbsp plain flour.
- Keep stirring so it doesn’t stick to the pan and after a couple of minutes, add the red wine, stirring to deglaze the pan.
- Remove the lid from the slow cooker and add in your beef.
- Add 200ml boiling water to the pan and then add this to the slow cooker to make sure you get all the meat juices in the stew.
- Replace the lid and turn down to low.
- Add in your vegetables, stir and then replace the lid and leave for 8 hours for the best results.
- Serve and enjoy!
293 Calories – 21g Protein – 7g Fat – 33g Carbs
I hope you enjoyed this healthy beef and vegetable stew recipe.
It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
If you want to use this as a meal prepping recipe and freeze portions, cut the potatoes into smaller pieces.
You can also make this stew in a pressure cooker, following the instructions in the manual (as each model is different) and it will taste just as delicious.
Alternatively you could make the same recipe using a big stock pot and cooking it in the oven on a very low temperature for a minimum of 8 hours, topping up the water as required.
Let me know if you tried this healthy recipe and what you thought!
Don’t forget to check back for upcoming healthy recipes and meal prepping ideas!