Healthy Chicken and Vegetable Pie Recipe
By Sharon Irish
I used to make a different version of this pie, it is one of my favourite comfort foods. But it had almost twice the calories in it.
I loved it so much and so I eventually managed to tweak it so that it has the same taste, but much less fat.
Now I can share this healthy chicken and vegetable pie recipe with you and I am sure you are going to love it too.
How to make this Healthy Chicken and Vegetable Pie Recipe:
This healthy chicken and vegetable pie recipe uses a lighter version of puff pastry and there is less of it which helps to lower the calories.
I have also replaced the double cream that was in my old recipe which helped a lot!
This chicken pie is a high protein meal as it contains 40g in a single serving. I suggest serving it with green beans or broccoli.
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken and Vegetable Pie Recipe
(for 5 portions):
- 180g chopped carrot
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 400g diced chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 70g button mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1-3 tsp french mustard (depending on how strong you like the flavour)
- 100-200ml chicken stock
- 1 chicken stock pot
- ½ cup peas
- 300ml reduced fat crème fraiche
- ½ cup spring onions, chopped
- ¾ sheet light puff pastry
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 200C / 390F / gas mark 6 before simmering the carrot for around 10 mins until softened.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat and then fry the chicken until lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the onion in the chicken juices left in the pan for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and fry for another 2 mins.
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir together.
- Add in the garlic puree, followed by between 1 and 3 tsp french mustard, (this really depends on how strong you like the flavour) I added 2.
- Add in salt, pepper and mixed herbs (season to taste) followed by half of the crème fraiche.
- Stir well and then add the remaining crème fraiche.
- Add in the cooked carrots and ½ cup peas, I used frozen.
- Add in 1 chicken stock pot and mix well.
- Stir in 100 – 200ml chicken stock, I only needed 100ml but it depends on how thick you like your sauce.
- Add in ½ cup chopped spring onions and then simmer for 5 mins.
- Take out your light puff pastry sheet and cut ¾ of it into strips, you can keep the rest in the fridge or freeze it.
- Pour the pie filling into your dish or dishes, I used smaller dishes which hold 2 portions each and then I froze the remainder of the filling.
- Place your pastry strips over the filling and then bake your pie for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
411 Calories – 40g Protein – 19g Fat – 30g Carbs
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
If you want to freeze it, do it after putting the pastry on and then put in the oven when it has been defrosted.
The pastry is at its best when it has just been cooked.
I tend to freeze the filling in portions without the pastry and then finish it off the day I am going to be eating it. The filling can be used for meal prepping.
Let me know if you tried it and what you thought!
Don’t forget to check back for upcoming recipes and meal prepping ideas!