Healthy Chicken Curry and Rice Recipe
By Sharon Irish
This Healthy Chicken Curry and Rice Recipe is a real winner. I love the taste and the fact that it is less than 400 calories, including the rice!
This version of chicken curry is my favourite, read on for the full recipe breakdown.
(You will need a food processor or hand blender to make the curry paste)
I hope that you like this healthy chicken curry and rice recipe as much as I do, after all it is kinder on your waistline and your pocket, those takeaways are expensive!
How to make this Healthy Chicken Curry and Rice Recipe:
Good News! this recipe is a high protein meal, there are 41g in just one portion and if you don’t want all the carbs in the rice you can always use cauliflower rice instead.
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Curry and Rice Recipe
(makes 4 portions):
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 500g diced chicken breast (you can use thigh meat, but it has a higher fat content)
- 3 small / 2 large yellow peppers
- 1 medium green pepper
- 2 small / 1 large onion
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 Thumb sized piece fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chilli paste / 1 red chilli pepper chopped (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 4 tsp curry powder (I used ASDA Tikka powder)
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150ml reduced fat creme fraiche
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I used brown basmati)
- Chop the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger and place them into a food processor with the standard cutting blade fitted.
- Add in the stock cubes, turmeric, curry powder, herbs, honey and tomato puree and blend for a minute or so before adding in the apple cider vinegar and continuing to blend until your paste is as smooth or chunky as you like.
- Using a roasting tray or oven proof pan on a medium heat, melt the coconut oil and fry the chicken until lightly browned.
- Add your paste and stir everything together, bringing the mixture to a simmer before adding in 500ml boiling water gradually.
- Transfer the tray to the oven heated to 200c / 390f or gas mark 6 and cook for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through ensuring nothing is sticking to the sides or bottom of the tray.
- After 20 minutes, remove the tray and stir in the reduced fat crème fraiche then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Leave it in longer if it is too thin or add more water if it is too thick.
- Serve one portion over ½ cup cooked brown basmati rice.
393 Calories – 41g Protein – 12g Fat – 42g Carbs
I hope you enjoyed this healthy chicken curry and rice recipe, it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days and also freezes well so can be used as a meal prepping recipe. Let me know if you tried it and what you thought!
Don’t forget to check back for upcoming healthy recipes and meal prepping ideas!